Why hello there sexy, vibrant greens! Smooth and creamy, rich and light, this pesto gets around. It’s delicious versatility is matched only by it’s abundance of nutrients. The trick is to add in (some might say, sneak in) greens like creamy steamed broccoli and earthy, bold kale. Approach is key, by steaming the broccoli and kale you can create a rich and fluffy texture that eliminates the need for excess amounts of high- fat and calorie-dense oil and cheese.
Rich in calcium as well as fiber and protein (that’s right there is protein in vegetables!) kale and broccoli add something special to the classic pesto. Health-hero Walnuts add protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and zinc to the mix. Let’s not forget the foundation of flavor, Basil. High in vitamin K ( your bones best friend), Basil is much more than a garnish.
LEAN GREEN KALE PESTO
Ingredients / what you’ll need
1 cup Raw Walnuts
1 cup Basil packed, destemmed
1 cup Broccoli florets
1 cup Kale, destemmed
2 medium Garlic Cloves
1/2 Lemon, juiced
2 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
Black Pepper, to taste
1/4 cup cold pressed Olive Oil
Directions / fresh and easy
1. Chop broccoli and kale. Bring water to boil and steam until veggies become vibrant green, about 3 minutes with lid on.
2. Chop walnuts and garlic. Pulse in a food processor with olive oil.
3. Add steamed kale and broccoli, chopped basil leaves, and lemon juice to food processor. Pulse until smooth.
4. Add water incrementally until desired consistency is reached.
5. Add salt, pepper and honey to taste.
This recipe is simple enough to whip up for quick Quinoa Pasta & Veggie dinner and tasty enough to impress your guests with a pesto Socca Flatbread. It’s delicious as a spread, a dip or a dressing. Enjoy!